According to multiple sources, drayage drivers serving Toronto are attempting to organize a strike to push for updated delivery rates and improved working conditions. At this stage, drivers who continue to work are reportedly being pressured by those who endorse the strike.
From the drivers’ perspective, issues fueling the strike include:
• Long wait times at the Toronto rail head
• Long hours on duty due to rail delays, causing some drivers to lose hours that they can legally be on the road
• Very low delivery rates compared to other Canada ports (for example, Vancouver)
• Free bobtail service to Zone 2 yards and for Zone 2 container pickups
• Safety concerns over receiving reefer containers at the rail
SPARX logistics will continue to monitor this issue and keep our customers apprised of the latest developments. If you have questions or concerns related to specific shipments, please contact your SPARX representative.